22 June 2005

Music and Me

After reading Prof ED's latest entry about his passion for music and how it started. It got me thinking as to how the heck did I end up having this passion for pilipino music. Growing up, I wasn't the least bit interested in anything that has something to do with the arts (at least not as passionately as I do now) In fact growing up, I didn't want to take piano lessons with my sister, my parents both can sing well, my dad plays the guitar, my younger brother played the banduria, my sister got the part of Maria in our High School district wide rendition of the West Side Story. But me, nada, I played basketball, football, and tennis. The closest I got to the high school band was when they would play during halftime at our football games. So what happened? Well here it goes.........(might be a long one, as I'm known to just ramble on and on)

Back in High school, my aunt (or adapted mom) was the adviser for the Fil-Am club, she was also my ride home, so when she has to teach folk dances I have to stay and watch until she's done. Well, there was a girl that I liked and it just so happen that she joined. Needless to say if I was to meet her, I have to start participating.
Thus began my folk dancing career at the ripe old age of 13. So I did this throughout high school. I even hooked up with Kulintang arts, when they were still starting out, because my aunt sponsored them to teach at my high school. I learned how to play basic beats on the drum and agong. But I didn't touch the kulintang because I didn't know how to read music and I suck at playing melodies.

After High School, I got involved with the Barangay dance company, where I met ED and Mur and other people that shared the passion of folk dancing with me. I also joined PACE the pilipino organization at SF State. They too have PCN's which featured folk dancing and so I stuck with it and participated as well. In fact it was through PACE that I ended up meeting Kuya Rudi.

Now you are probably asking, where is the musician part, well, I'm getting there.
After meeting up with him, he asked me if I could be the stage director for "Handog" which was a dance concert that his group, P.P.A. put together. This was the first time that I actually heard the Tan bros. play live music for the first time. And I thought that it was just magnificent. I still remember the songs they played from Chotis, to banga, to vinta. It was one of the most amazing sounds that I've ever heard and soon after that I told myself that I want to play exactly like them. Now I'm nowhere near how they play, in fact I think I'm an ok musician. I'll never be a Bayani or Ed or Bryan, because I'm too stubborn to learn how to read music properly. I usually just try to play it by ear. But I do know one thing. Music is a big part of my life and I don't think that I can go on without it. Just ask Laurie who keeps teasing me about my threats of "retirement", believe me I tried, but what it all boils down to is that I can't live without the music and walking away will just kill my spirit.

So to my fellow musicians both here and abroad. Thank you for the music and letting me be a part of it all.

6 comments:

Gary said...

That was a very insightful history lesson. You should post some pictures from when you were 13.

VirtualErn said...

It still trips me out how you play by ear; I'm so dependent on sheet music. Hey, you gotta take over the bass when I get my octavina!

laragitara said...

well of course you can't "retire" from being who you are! :-)

music and dance, the arts... they are essential to life. they bring joy to the soul, they can repair the spirit. music moves us on all levels. when we talk about the "high" after a show, we're talking about the transcendental quality of music and dance. we rehearse and rehearse and rehearse, we hone our craft so that during the right moment, we reach that transformative point, wherein the spirit and the body become one. in essence, music and dance (and any art) allows us to reach the divine within us. when we get to that point, it affects everyone else around us (the audience, other performers). where would be we as a society without the arts?

to be able to play any instrument is a gift to yourself and to the world, no matter how you go about playing it, whether by ear or by sheet music. what is important is how you play, with heart. and why all the talk of "retiring"? consider it as this, as a musician, you are just beginning to become interesting. as a folk art practioner, you are still learning, there's so much out there, you've barely scratched the surface of the vast knowledge within your culture, within your blood. what you have going for you, is you have talent and you have passion.

congratulations on a successful show in Vancouver! i am sorry i missed hearing one of my favorite musicians (and favorite sambalilo partner) perform. but i am certain there will be other shows i will see you in. you are too young and too gifted to retire.

LG

DJ John said...

I would never have thought I could play something if it wasn't for you. Your courage gave me courage.

R said...

Like I was saying in the KP forum. If you wanna attract more guys (dancers or musicians) you need to recruit hot available females first. They never listen to Turtle. Rhoel.

Mur said...

Nice Post Angelo. I remember Handog well, as that show inspired to perform as well. I didn't realize that's where you got your start. Now we know you can never "retire"...but look who's talking, right?