14 August 2006

Sucks

Last saturday nite, while chilling at home, the power goes out. It was out 'til about 11:30 pm.
then as soon as the power went back on, I smelled something burning, as I look around I noticed that one of my external hard drives has smoke coming out from behind it. Next thing I know, the dang thing won't turn on and I believe it's fried. I don't know how it happened, all my computer stuff are plugged into surge protectors, but for some reason the power supple on this particular drive burnt out.

I'm hoping that it's just the power supply and that the hard drive is still intact. It contains a LOT of my pictures and movies and some MP3's. I could care less about all the stuff except for my pictures. Those things I can't get back anymore if they are ever lost.

Crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

VirtualErn said...

Most surge protectors are barely adequate. I forgot the specifics, but there's a special UL listing number that you have to look for when buying one -- needless to say, they're quite expensive.

So I know it's too late now, but always turn off your electronics during a power outage (my Dad used to go to extremes and told us to unplug the entire house)

Hope you didn't lose any data...I've been there more than once and don't wish that experience on anyone.