29 August 2006

Day two

Today I got to drive around Petaluma towing a 28ft trailer. It was daunting at first but eventually I got the hang of it. I'm still having problems downshifting as you have to do what seems like a thousand things just to get it down 1 gear. I mean you have to watch your tachometer, then take it out of gear, get the tachometer 400 rpms higher than where you took it out and then shift down, oh you're also double clutching and controlling the speed with your brakes all at the same time. Time span for all this to happen you ask, oh about 2 seconds. I tell ya it aint easy.

Oh it also took me 10 minutes to back up the trailer to a dock, at this rate I think my trainer might throw me out unto the curb.
Or I might throw myself out unto the curb.

Anyways tomorrow should be fun, I get to pull 2 trailers instead of one. Now really pray for me that I get through it unscathed.
UPS training is really accelerated, they expect me to learn this job in 10 days, when there are trucking schools out there that train people for about 6 months. I have got to be crazy to be doing this, but oh well that's the price to pay if you want a big bump in pay I guess.

Truckin' on!

2 comments:

ojpt said...

hang in there dood. tell em large marge sent ya.

VirtualErn said...

I'm sure you'll do well. And hey, there's always Truckmasters Truck Driving School.